Hi, Lindsey here! I’ve been HomeKeeper’s Training & Support Specialist since April 2020. I first used Salesforce and the HomeKeeper App just a few years ago as an AmeriCorps turned accidental admin, and in November 2021, I earned my Salesforce Administrator Certification!
Between myself and HomeKeeper team member Cheryl, our team now holds 4 certifications – two Salesforce Administrator Certifications, an Advanced Administrator Certification, and A Platform App Builder Certification.
What Does That Mean?
Administrators maintain the platform, make it as easy as possible for users of any technical level to use Salesforce, and stay updated on the platform’s new tools, capabilities, and updates. You can learn more by checking out the Salesforce article, What is a Salesforce Administrator?.
What Does This Mean for Our Users?
This means that we now have additional certifications to be able to better serve you. As a staff, we focus on learning as much as we can about the Salesforce platform, so that we can best answer our users’ questions, as well as provide support. These certifications mean that we now have even more in-depth knowledge on specific topics that are related to our day-to-day work as application support staff.
Through Salesforce Trailheads and Hands-On courses, I learned about security, configuration, the basics of App Builder, Object settings, and Salesforce applications like Service, Sales and Marketing. However, one of the biggest lessons I learned from this process is just how much I still have to learn, and I’m excited to continue on my Salesforce Journey.
Tools / Resources for Becoming Certified
Many of you are probably already acting as Salesforce Admins, or “accidental admins” too. All of our accidental admins are learning on the job, and you may be ready for your own certification! If you’re ready to “make it official,” check out some of these resources to get you started:
- Trailhead – Trailhead learning through Salesforce is one of the best ways you can learn how to use Salesforce better. There are trailheads for learning things as basic as how to create fields as well as learning more complicated tasks like creating process and workflows. Trailhead also includes trailmixes to get you ready for Salesforce certification. For example, here is a trailmix for the Salesforce Certified Admin certification.
- Amplify – Amplify provides great free study groups and resources to nonprofit users to help nonprofit staff to become certified.
- Salesforce Admin 201 class – This is Salesforce’s official 5-day class for studying for their first certification, Certified Administrator. These classes do have a cost, so many of the resources above and below can provide you with lower cost instruction and practice.
- Focus on Force – Focus on Force is a great resource for all of the Salesforce certifications. It includes in-depth study guides as well as a variety of practice tests.
- Salesforce Ben – Salesforce Ben is a Salesforce blog which includes Salesforce news, tricks and tips to using Salesforce as well as practices tests for many of the different Salesforce certifications.